Washington State is known as one of the premier apple-growing areas in the world. The nutrient-rich soil, arid climate, plentiful water and advanced growing practices provide the right ingredients for producing top-quality fruit.
These same elements also make Washington the finest place to grow organic apples. The dry climate and ideal temperatures reduce the number of disease and pest problems that can impact fruit. This superior climate reduces the need for applications to control insects and pests. In addition, Washington’s quality standards for all apples are more stringent than grading standards used in any other growing region in the world.
Core Facts About Organic Washington Apples:
• Washington apple growers currently produce over 8 million boxes of certified organic apples. That equates to 160,000 tons!
• Washington State cultivates 14,050 acres of certified organic orchards.
• The United States is the leading organic apple producer in the world, with Washington State growing more than 90% of U.S. certified organic apples.
• Organic Washington apples are available in every key variety – Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, Braeburn, Cripps Pink, and Honeycrisp™.
• Each organic Washington apple is picked by hand.